Office of Laity and Family (OLF)
Asian Laity Meetings
From 1986 until now the National Laity Commissions
held in cooperation with the FABC Office of Laity regular
regional meetings for mutual support, sharing of experiences
and building awareness of the important role of Lay people
in the life of the Church.
In 2004, the Office of Laity was ask to add Family to its portfolio. The list below includes Laity and Family meetings. For meetings concerning Youth, BEC or Women please go to the respective pages.
BILA X on Laity
2-6 March 2015 - Camillian Pastoral Centre, Bangkok. 43 Paticipants from 9 countries.
Moved at very short notice from Dhaka (January) to Bangkok (March). Keynote speaker was Fr Jacob Teckanath
on the "Mission of Evangelization of the Laity today".
ALM I (First Asian Laity Meeting) was held 1994 in Suwon Diocese, Korea and brought participants representing 14 countries/areas of Asia together to reflect on the theme
"The Commitment of the Laity in Church’s Mission with special reference to implementing the Church’ s Social Teachings”
The participants focused their attention on three vital areas for evangelization in Asia:
- - The family
- - Our workplace
- - The dialogue of life with peoples of other faiths
ALM II (Second Asian Laity Meeting)
2001 in Thailand focused on the theme “Laity as a moving force of love and service in a renewed Church.”
Events in 2017 coming soon
East Asian Seminar on the Family, Taiwan, May 15-19, 2017
The Registration Form, Programme All registrations should go through your Bishops' Conference or Family
Ministry. Countries invited are Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan.
Study days on the Family, Thailand, October 3-6 2017
The Project Proposal is available for information. Attendance is by invitation.
2016 - FAMILY - ASIAN CONFERENCE ON FAMILY
Theme: Shepherding the Family - Contemporary challenges and responses for Bishops, Priests and Lay Leaders.
16th - 20th May 2016, Venue: Salesian Retreat House, Hua Hin, Thailand
Organised by: FABC Office of Clergy and FABC OLFamily Attended by 98 participants from 15 countries with 12 Bishops.
BILA ON THE FAMILY I, 2007
"Avenues/Approaches to respond to challenges in Pastoral Care to Families in the 21st Century" ,11th to 16th June, 2007, Redemptorist Centre, Pattaya, Thailand
BILA ON FAMILY II, 2013
"Families in Asia, serving in being served"
Archdiocesan Pastoral Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia April 20-24, 2013
Regional Laity Meetings
EARLM (East Asian Regional Laity Meetings for Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan):
- EARLM 1 (1986, Taiwan): “The Role of the Laity in the Growth of the Local Churches in East Asia”
- EARLM 2 (1989, Japan): “ Spiritual Crisis amids Materal Affluence and the Role of the Laity”
- EARLM 3 (1992, Korea): “The Participation of the Laity in the Life of the Church”
- EARLM 4 (1996, Macao): “The Role of the Laity in Human Development”
- EARLM 5 (1999, Hong Kong): “Formation of Laity towards a Renewed Church”
- The East Asian Meeting on FAMILY October 20-24, 2002 in Taipei, Taiwan focused on the theme "The Family in East Asia: Pastoral Challenges for the 3rd Millennium".
SEARLM (Southeast Asian Regional Laity Meetings for Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam):
- SEARLM 1 (1996, Thailand): “The Role of the Laity in Church Mission in South East Asia, with Special Emphasis on Implementing the Church social Teachings”
- SEARLM 2 (1999, Philippines): ”Authentic Human Development and the Social Teachings of the Church”
SARLM (South Asian Regional Laity Meetings for Bangladesh, India, Nepal and Sri Lanka):
- SARLM 1 (1995, India): “Towards a Participatory Church”
- SARLM 2 (1998, Nepal): “The Role and Mission of the Laity in the multi-religious contexts of South Asia at the threshold of the third millennium”